Archive for January, 2013
As I think about today being inauguration day for President Obama I find myself thinking about 2nd chances. Specifically that a 2nd chance isn’t always about what you didn’t get right the 1st time (although I was thinking about that as well) as much as what would you do differently if given the opportunity to do so. I am thinking about this for a variety of reasons. Some these reasons include:
– Watching people I love go through stuff that I can’t change but seeing them get another opportunity to live a great life
– Thinking about the fact that if you get to live to tomorrow you have a fresh opportunity to improve on yesterday if you choose to.
– Remembering that sometimes I am far too lenient with people who constantly disappointed me but have been given many chances.
– Thinking about the 1 person in my life that truly got me more than anyone else (except my mother) who is no longer living that could have had another chance if only they wouldn’t have exalted their pride above their humility.
-Seeing how in this digital world we live in some people have to create a lie online in order to feel secure in the truth of who the really are that no one else wants to accept.
– And lastly (for this post at least), thinking about those whose lives have been torn apart by the deaths of their children and the internet/corporate pundits that would have the attention shifted to their personal, political, or financial agenda instead of helping those who are truly in need.
Fact is everyone, and I mean EVERYONE needs a another chance be it to right a wrong or improve upon what they’ve already done. There’s not a single person on this planet that is perfect and it would do us all good to remember that especially when we are looking in the mirror questioning someone else getting another chance in life.
As I sit here getting ready to eat breakfast I find myself thinking about the course of my life thus far and the people that have come in and out of my life. Some people are only in our lives for a moment, others for a season, and others for a lifetime. Another way of saying this is every person that comes into your life isn’t meant to stay in your life and those that do stay in our life shouldn’t have the same level of access to you. Access is something people need to qualify for. And just like the time people spend in your life there should be levels of access. For me there are 3: Acquaintance, Friend, Family.
That’s just another way to say you how close you are to my heart. People can hurt you in life sometimes but regardless of this fact you still need to forgive and be able to move forward. Hurt feelings doesn’t mean a loss of access in some cases. The point if my morning rambling here is to say that access to you, no matter what the level is a gift and privilege that you give to others and not what they choose to take for themselves. So be careful who and how much access you give others to you.
Today is the first day of 2013 and many people around the world have made “new years resolutions” but I’d like to challenge anyone that has done so this year. People make new years resolutions every year and many of these resolutions go by the way side, never to be fulfilled and almost sure to be forgotten. So instead of making a new years resolution this year, why not convert your dreams into a set of goals for yourself and make the appropriate plans to achieve those dreams and goals? I mean Herm Edwards said it best, “A goal without a plan is just a wish.” Anytime you wish for something that you truly want in life then you are letting external circumstances determine if you are going to receive that which you are looking for in life. While there’s nothing wrong with wishing, it’s even better to set a goal, make a plan and achieve it.
The thing about going after your dreams and goals is that even if you don’t make it with your first plan you’ll have no regrets about it because you went after it and if it’s something that you truly want in life, then you’ll go after it again learning from the mistakes or missteps the first time around because your dreams and goals are worth having and worth achieving. So as you are starting this new year what is it that you really want to accomplish? What dreams and goals have your resolved yourself to planning for so that you can achieve them?